February 18, 2010

How to Taste the Rainbow

Not long after I wrote the blog post about Noah's Rainbow Pancakes, I started getting texts, emails, and messages on Facebook asking, "How did you do it?"

It's really not too hard. In fact, it's pretty darn easy. Anyone who can flip a pancake and squeeze a bottle of food coloring can make rainbow pancakes. {In case you forgot, I got this awesome idea from Amanda at iammommy.typepad.com}

So, my inquiring friends, I'm back with these pretty little pancakes and a tutorial so you can get busy in the kitchen & make them too!

So let's get our hands dirty & get started.

Here are the ingredients you need:

Photobucket

The recipes yields 8 servings:

-1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
-3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
-1 teaspoon salt
-1 tablespoon white sugar
{I actually used powdered sugar & it worked just fine}
-1 1/4 cups milk
-1 egg
-3 tablespoons butter, melted
-Food Coloring

Depending on how big you make your pancakes and/or how many you want to make, you will need to adjust the amount of the ingredients. The recipe I use for pancakes is on allrecipes.com. I really like this website because you can customize the recipe to how many servings you want. Click here if you need to adjust your serving size.

Ok. So how do we make these bright, colorful pancakes?

First, grab a large bowl, and sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Then pour in the milk, egg, and melted butter; mix until smooth.

Next, heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over low/medium heat. Keep the heat on the lower end, because the key to not browning the pancakes too much is to cook them slowly.

After you have turned on the stove, grab the food coloring, and the fun begins! Get 5 to 6 small bowls and divide the pancake batter evenly in each of the bowls. Mix the food coloring {I used about 10 drops or so} into the batter until you get the color you want. Something like this:

Photobucket
{The picture above was taken from here because
I didn't have any cute little bowls for display}


Now it's time to cook them on the griddle. Remember, the key is to cook them slowly. Don't rush, or you will have some ugly looking pancakes {I speak from experience}.

Just pick a color and pour it on the griddle. Do one color at a time so you don't get any weird color mixes. Once I've poured the batter on the griddle, I usually turn the heat up just a tad, but not too much. Be patient! You'll know the pancakes are ready to flip when little bubbles start forming at the top of the batter.

And then you have rainbow pancakes! They are almost too pretty to eat {key word: almost}.

Photobucket

Hope this little tutorial helped! Good luck!

2 comments:

Angie said...

Wow! Thanks so much and you did a fabulous job on this receipe!! I will try this so wish me a good luck! =)

Jill Sloothaak said...

I just linked to this fun idea from my blog! I tried it with my son a few weeks ago, and we both LOVED our fun rainbow breakfast! Thanks for the fun (and tasty) recipe!