October 04, 2009

The Diaper Cake

Yep, I made a diaper cake. I can see the blank expression on your face as you're wondering what the heck a diaper cake is. Well, it's actually just a bunch of diapers put together to look like a cake. The first one I saw was one given to me at my baby shower, and they are adorable. The best thing about diaper cakes is that they provide a cute centerpiece at the shower, but they're also a practical gift for the new baby and mommy to be.

Often I find myself looking at an idea and thinking, "Oh, I can do that." When I first saw the diaper cake that was given to Noah and me, I knew it would be fun to make one and that I'd want to do it some day. So with an upcoming baby shower approaching (which was actually this weekend), I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to try my diaper cake making skills. Even though I've been dying to post it on Facebook and write about it on the blog, I had to keep it top secret, so it would be a surprise for the mommy to be.

I decided a diaper cake tutorial was a must because I honestly had no idea where to start. Can I tell you a little secret? It is so easy. Seriously. It doesn't take much skill at all to make one. And diaper cakes are so much fun to make--I can't wait to make another one! My friends seriously need to get with the program and start having babies so I have an excuse to make more.

So the first thing I decided was that I wanted to make a three-tiered diaper cake. There are so many different ways you can make them. Some diaper cakes are very detailed, while others are simply diapers stacked with ribbon tied around the tiers. I then made a list of all the items I needed to buy to begin my attempt at the diaper cake.

I dragged Josh and Noah along with me to Walmart and Target one night after dinner, and we bought everything I needed to make the diaper cake. I couldn't wait to get started. The first thing you have to do when making a diaper cake is to roll up a bunch of diapers (as if you were rolling up a magazine or newspaper) and then wrap a rubber band around each roll. Thank goodness I had my sweet husband home with me to help, because after rolling about 15 diapers my hand was already starting to cramp. We rolled, and rolled, and rolled until we couldn't roll any more. We rolled sixty-six diapers to be exact. Really, it wasn't that bad, but I do suggest getting someone to help because the process of rolling diapers goes by that much faster.

Once the rolling is done, the fun begins. I'm warning you, once the fun begins it is hard to control your spending! Ha! I kept telling Josh, "I promise this is my last time to go to Hobby Lobby." But the great thing about diaper cakes is that you can go all out and spend a lot, or you can do a simple cake and not spend much at all. It's completely up to you (and your checkbook).

So, would you like to see my first attempt at a diaper cake? I have to admit I was pretty happy with the way it turned out.

Get the flash player here: http://www.adobe.com/flashplayer

4 comments:

Gay Lynn said...

It's fabulous!!! I'm not surprised - that's right up your alley - but you did an amazing job!

Linda P. said...

Oh, Libby, I was supposed to be at that shower, but I have been feeling a little sick, and I just didn't want to take a chance of giving something to anyone. I am a big artsy crafter, but I have never made a diaper cake. You did a fantastic job! Since I couldn't be there in person, I am so glad you posted pictures!

Cynthia Meeks said...

wow! Thats amazing! You are super talented!

ediapercakes said...

Your diaper cake is lovely. The cute lamb is a really nice touch.